The Folly Theater, a National Historic Register building on Kansas City’s Avenue of the Arts, opened in 1900 and is the city’s oldest performing arts venue. The Folly presents world-class artists in its Jazz Series and Americana Series, an intimate listening room series featuring local singer-songwriters, and a Kids Series with performances targeted to school groups. The theater also is home to diverse rental client events, including chamber music, classical concerts, dance, comedians, burlesque, and drag shows.
The marketing manager will create, implement, and manage a comprehensive marketing and communications program to advance the Folly Theater’s mission and goals. They will develop integrated strategies to maximize ticket sales, communicate with current patrons, raise theater brand awareness, market the theater as a rental venue, assist with development and fundraising efforts, support promotion of rental client events, and strengthen outreach efforts and partnerships with the Greater Kansas City community.
- Develop marketing campaigns for programming, fundraising, and brand awareness, including print, radio, television, website, online, social media, mail, e-mail, and visual displays
- Maintain current and accurate website content
- Manage ad buys (print, radio, television, online, social media, billboards), including scheduling, content development, ROI analysis, and vendor relationships
- Coordinate programming and fundraising direct mail campaigns
- Manage workflow of independent contractors and vendors, including graphic designers, printers, mail houses, photographers, and videographers
- Curate and find/create content for social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn, Blogs)
- Maintain a current and accurate patron email database
- Prepare and distribute regular email communications, including monthly e-newsletters and event promotions/updates
- Prepare and distribute press releases
- Develop and manage media relationships
- Pitch story ideas to media
- Maintain a current media contact database
- Manage graphic design partnership with Kansas City Art Institute, in conjunction with Executive Director
- Coordinate concert programs creation (both print and e-book versions)
- Identify and schedule artists for Live! in the Lounge Series
- Develop outreach opportunities to cultivate young professional audiences
- Collaborate with and support the Development Department in the marketing and promotion of all fundraising activities (including special events, appeal mailings, capital campaigns, Giving Tuesday campaigns, Facebook solicitations, etc.)
- Create copy for publications (concert programs, newsletters, brochures, development pieces, Folly Golf Tournament, Folly Picnic, Folly Frolic)
- Attend all Folly presented performances (Jazz, Americana, Live! in the Lounge, Kids) and special events
- Assist Box Office Manager in selling tickets and managing ticketing software
- Help manage the donor database
- Work collaboratively with the entire Folly Team to support the efforts of all Folly operations
- Other needs as assigned
Skills needed for a successful experience in this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, business, advertising or related field
- Three or more years of experience in marketing
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Experience with creative software, including the ability to create digital/video presentations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of arts community and downtown Kansas City
- Budget management
Characteristics for a successful experience in this position:
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with ability to manage multiple priorities
- High energy, enthusiasm, professionalism, and friendly demeanor
- Love of the arts and passion for facilitating high quality entertainment experiences
This job description is not intended to be a finite, exhaustive list of assigned tasks. Rather, it provides a general sense of the position’s responsibilities and expectations. The essential functions of this position may change as operational needs demand.
This is a full-time staff position, offering a complete and competitive benefit package. Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, or veteran or disability status.
Send cover letter and resume to Rick Truman.